Friday, September 18, 2009

This weeks' update

Hi, this is Bergen. We have had a change in our plans this week. Wednesay afternoon Mom had a major seizure which lasted over 10 minutes. She lost consiousness at the end. It was very severe and occurred just after leaving the clinic where Dad and her talked with the doctors about starting radiation and chemotherapy. After continued deterioration on her left side and motor skills, Dad and Mom decided they couldn't keep doing the same thing without results. So we have a different plan for now. They had gone to the clinic to talk about more aggressive medical treatments. After taking and reviewing a brain scan the doctors determined that the seizure was mostly the result of her having stopped taking the anti-seizure medicine a couple of months ago. They got her back on the medicine and kept her in the hospital overnight. They feel that she should be okay to function normally with regular use of the medicine. We wanted to thank you for your prayers and concerns for Mom. As I indicated above, we decided to start radiation therapy and chemotherapy. She had her first treatment Thursday. Mom will be taking chemotherapy targeted at the brain in the form of pills. The radiation will be full brain radiation which is targeted to kill all of the tumors in the brain. The doctors feel that this is the best course of action to reduce the swelling in the brain which is causing most of the problems with the impairment of her motor skills and weak left side of the body. We feel good with this course of action and mostly want to kill the tumors as well as reduce the swelling that is causing most of her current problems. I just wanted to let you know her current situation. We have cancelled our plans for our annual Snowbird trip. Judson is flying into Wenatchee and Jared is coming as well. I am here and will stay a couple weeks or more. We are so happy to be together and are enjoying each day. We love you all!

Mom wants me to share the words of a wonderful hymn:

Count Your Blessings

When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

Count your blessings; Name them one by one.
Count your blessings; See what God hath done.
Count your blessings; Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings; See what God hath done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings; ev’ry doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold.
Count your many blessings; money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven nor your home on high.

So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

Count your blessings; Name them one by one.
Count your blessings; See what God hath done.
Count your blessings; Name them one by one.
Count your many blessing; See what God hath done.

Thanks once again for your continued prayers. Our entire family loves and appreciates your faith and support!

17 comments:

  1. Janae and Family,

    I am so sorry to hear all that has gone wrong with you and I wanted to let you know that we are praying and thinking of you daily that this treatment you have chose will do the work it needs to.We love you and your wonderful family and want you all to know we are here for you for anything you need. Please dont hesistate to call us for anything prayers are coming your way for sure,I also have called and put your name in at 3 temples.Much Love Always The Pedersen's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janae,
    I am sorry to hear about your day Wednesday. I am confidant that this new treatment will be the answer for you. I love you and hope that if you need anything that you do not hesitate to call me. You are in my prayers daily and in my thoughts constantly. You are very strong and I appreciate your blog and keeping your friends up to date. Thank-you and love, Margie Button

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janae and fam,
    Thank you for the update. We'll be praying that this will be the one that works for you. May you be blessed with comfort, peace and strength as you go forward. Your blog is such an inspiration to all of us who love you.
    Hugs, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, sometimes the cross we are called to bear may feel pretty heavy. While in the eternal scheme of things it is but for a short time, it can seem at the time that it lasts forever. What a tremendous blessing families are! During challenging times, my favorite scripture is:

    "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

    May His Spirit abide in you and in your home,

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deity, Diet & Docs!!! Pull out all the stops!

    Go for it, dear Janae! Whatever it takes!

    Your angels surround, protect & comfort.

    I Love You~

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janae,
    We love you so much and are continually thinking of you and Calvin, your family and loved ones. This tugs at my heart strings as I remember vividly my own mother's diagnosis and all of the emotion and fragility that is associated with this process. However, FAMILY is the greatest gift in times like these and how incredibly blessed you are through your children, your husband and family members! We are praying and confident that this most recent treatment will respond well....You're a FIGHTER, Janae. Always have been. Always will be. What an inspiration you are. May the Lord continually bless and watch over you and yours....We love you
    Love, Spencer and Shannon & Gang

    ReplyDelete
  7. We haven't met you, but we know of you, and I just wanted to let you know that you are also in our prayers. You are so inspiring and if anyone can fight this - you can!

    Hugs and prayers,

    The Byingtons

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still thinking of you, still praying for you.

    Love,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the updates. They are greatly appreciated, especially as I know you all have many daily responsibilities requiring your time & attention.

    You are all loved immensely & unconditionally. Thank you for your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janae & Family, I love you so much, my friend. Fight like I know you can. I still need your friendship and advice so battle on dear one. I am praying for you!
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just want you to know that I think of you often. You are an inspiration to me - in many ways...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Janae, Just wanted to let you know that Dustin left for his mission to Uruguay yesterday morning. He went to the Argentina MTC. He told me many times how much he enjoyed seminary and you while his freshman year. Thank you for helping him grow his testimony. I wish I could give you a big hug! You are in our thoughts and prayers. Much love, Pam and family

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking of you Janae and Calvin and all the Whites who the Bennions so love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Janae - count your blessings indeed - how fitting that one of my blessings is having YOU as a sister! I love and adore you. I know that Heavenly Father has great plans for you! You are always an inspiration to me and my family! Blake sends all of his love as well~
    I love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Janae,
    I haven't been able to send any comments lately. So I'll try again. I so enjoyed watching your family in sacrament meeting today.Such a wonderful family and your girls are great mothers. And that would be because they have such a remarkable one. I just wanted to let you know we love you all very much and your always in our thoughts and prayers. Its so good to see Jud home. I'm sure hes in adjustment mode. You just keep doing whatever you have too, and we are with you all the way.
    Love you girl and Cal too!
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dearest Janae,
    I have been reading from the sidelines and just wanted to say hi! IlaMae helps keep me in the loop and she directed me to your Blog page. Thanks to Stacia et al for keeping all of us updated.
    What a process you and your family are enduring. Brenda and I speak of you often and your posts have opened up an opportunity to witness to her. God has always used YOU, dear one, to play his most beautiful music-music of the Spirit & Spheres! When Brenda and I visited the other day, I played your CD, the one with the cover of you sitting on the piano! Perfect! As I’ve shared before, even my mother speaks of you and your wonderful mothering when you lived near Brenda on Valley View! Amazing how many lives one person can touch……….
    May HE cradle you gently and securely in HIS arms as you endure your most recent trial with treatments.
    With love, compassion and intercessory prayer,
    Linda Dahl-Hale

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Friend,

    It's hard to know what to say during your time of trial. You have always been fully devoted to your family and to the truth and have been so determined. The scriptures say:
    "Behold, the kingdom is yours. And behold, and lo, I am with the faithful always." D&C 62:9
    I know the Lord will continue to comfort and support you and your good family. May His choices blessings be yours.

    Love,

    Barb Simon

    ReplyDelete